Tuesday, February 28, 2012

My great hand soap Adventure!

So, I wanted to try making my own hand soap for several reasons...it is supposed to be cheaper and I am becoming increasingly aware of what chemicals are in so many of our "cleaning" products. I found a "recipe" that I liked (thanks Pinterest), at this site...Making Liquid Soap. Then I had to find the ingredients...I bought some lovely lavender bar soap at Trader Joe's (they have several "flavors" to choose from, some I am excited to try some different ones eventually...and they even have non - scented soap, a bit cheaper, which I may try after I get some essential oils to add.) I had a bit of trouble finding the glycerin, but I did eventually find it at Walmart and Hobby Lobby...even though when I called both places they told me they didn't have it. I hear you can also buy it online, but I was in a hurry to do this project this weekend when I was off from work.

Here is the process as I went...


Grating the soap...it smelled WONDERFUL!


Melting all the "ingredients" together.


Mostly melted...


Cooling off...


Cooled and ready to use.

I used the funnel to pour it into my soap dispenser. After filling the dispenser I still had about 3 quarts of it left. I only used about half of the bar of soap, grated...I grated the whole thing and have the rest stored in a baggie for another batch. You only use a small amount of glycerin, so all in all I am guessing I made 3+ quarts of lavender scented, non-toxic hand soap for less than $2.00. Besides, it smells so good! :-)

No comments: