Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Frugal Valentine’s Day


We have been trying to stick with our budget for well over a year…yet it seems like since the pregnancy it has been harder and harder for me to stay focused on that, especially when it comes to food. Additionally all of our “extra” money is being used/saved for baby stuff, so I knew we would not really have money for a “special” Valentine’s date, if it needed money. Instead I tried to come up with something special for my hubby that didn’t need any money.

I made his card out of paper that I already had in the house. I “decorated” the house with heart shaped sticky notes (that I already had) that had snippets of things I loved about him. When he came home from work in the morning I made “Eggs in a Basket” using a heart shaped cookie cutter to make the “basket”. For supper I made homemade chicken enchiladas…including making the flour tortillas and the enchilada sauce from scratch…because I hadn’t planned that far ahead when grocery shopping the previous week and I was out of money in our food budget. The food was great and I was “proud” of myself for finding a way to make his special meal without going over budget!

Here are the recipes that I used for supper.

Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
1 lb chicken breast (cook and cut)
8 oz cream cheese
1 (4.5 oz) green chiles (chopped)
12 soft flour tortillas
19 oz enchilada sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Heat oven 400* Add cream cheese and chiles to cook chicken. Stir over medium heat until blended. Spoon filling into tortillas. roll up and place seam down in lightly greased 9x13 pan. Pour enchilada sauce over top; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20 minutes.

*I like to put some cheese inside tortillas as well








1 comment:

Lynetta said...

So proud of you! love ya!