Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Themes and House Finches

So I haven’t blogged in quite a while, but I am hoping that I can start back…I will preface (well actually it is more like a postscript at this point) this by saying, I still work full time, go to school and have a family to take care of…so I might not be extremely consistent in my blogging…but I will try to post things every now and then.

Some blogs have a theme and I have wondered if/what mine should be…of course since it is written by me, there will be personal things in here on occasion…but I have become increasingly concerned about several issues regarding women’s health and the lack of information available to women. Therefore, I will probably use this blog to address some of those issues at times. Additionally I enjoy discovering the “old” and “natural” way to do things and venturing out on those trails at times. So, having said all that…this will be a hodgepodge forum and you are welcome to join me on my journey.

At the moment my DH is on the phone with the internet company so I am sitting her typing this in a Word doc for importing later. I can see the momma House Finch sitting on her nest, occasionally standing to rearrange her eggs. Do you know much about House Finches? I did not until a nice couple decided to “rent” our back porch from us. Apparently House Finches are keen on porches or other protected areas for their nests. Both parents will carry building materials to the nest, but the momma is the one who actually builds the nest. During this time the papa will go through a courtship ritual with the mamma in which he regurgitates food into her mouth. This can continue after the momma lays her eggs and sits on the nest to keep them warm. After about 2 weeks the babies hatch. The first set of hatchlings had 5 babies. For approximately 14 days the momma and papa would go get food and regurgitate it into the babies’ mouths. After the 14 days, the little ones fly away. We happened to be outside working in the yard when one of them left…at first he flew into the back door (which is glass) but eventually he figured out how to fly to the dogwood tree. Now the parents have remodeled the nest for the second batch of hatchlings and the momma is sitting on the nest keeping them warm. Did you know that House Finches hatch 2 sets of kiddos each year?

Well, I am going to end this post here as we need to go to “A” and get my uniform embroidered and I think we will browse a few stores while there.

No comments: